A common question we receive at Cleanster is how do you remove mould? Often found in bathrooms, cupboards and on ceilings, mould is a type of fungi that can rapidly spread under certain conditions.
According to mould expert Dr Leigh Winsor, “of the four things that moulds need to grow – moisture, warmth, spores and nutrients – moisture is the easiest to control.”
Preventing mould is a lot easier than removing it. To reduce the moisture in certain area’s of the home, it is recommended that air conditioning or fans are used to get the air circulating or dehumidifiers or moisture absorbing buckets can be put in cupboards to reduce humidity.
If you are finding it difficult to remove mould, there are a few methods you can use. While bleach takes the colour out of mould and can kill off surface growth and spores, it won’t penetrate porous materials.
We recommend a vinegar spray solution using 80% vinegar to 20% water. If time permits, spray your affected area and leave to sit for an hour or two. Wipe clean with a microfibre cloth. Clean your cloth in the same solution, rinse in clean water and repeat the process until the mould is removed.
Another alternative for cleaning hard surfaces is oil of cloves. Mix ¼ teaspoon of clove oil to 1 litre of water. Spray the solution onto the affected area and leave to sit for 20 minutes. Wipe with a clean cloth and re-spray, this time leaving it untouched for 24-48hrs to allow mould spores to die.
Like any cleaning technique, it’s always best to test a small patch first to avoid damaging the surface and always use protective gear where necessary.